How to clean out disgusting leftover food containers from the fridge -or- Ridiculous ProcrastinationPosted: April 16, 2011
What you will need:
- disgusting leftover food containers from cleaning out the fridge
- sink/dishwasher and soap
- garbage disposal/ trash can/compost bin
Helpful and recommended:
- the ability to breathe through your mouth instead of your nose
- rubber gloves and scrub brush
- nice smelling candle
- open windows/doors
- baking soda and/or lemon peels
1. Prep work: Learn how to waste food.
2. Clean out the refrigerator and put all of the disgusting containers on the counter by the sink.
3. Plan to clean them out. Sometime soon. If you really like them to be extra mega-mold-disgusting, procrastinate:
Try to wait until both the sink and the dishwasher are empty on a trash collection day, during nap time for little ones, when you are well rested and the laundry is done.
Secretly hope that someone else will clean out the containers for you.
If you have understanding friends coming over, just leave the containers there.
If you are having a family birthday party for your son, put the containers in a trash bag and hide them on the back deck.
4. When you are finished procrastinating, (For example, when a new babysitter is coming over on a nice warm day and you are afraid she will find the trash bag of disgusting moldy food containers on the deck) get out your supplies and your determination.
5. Work quickly! Breathing through only your mouth(to avoid the dreaded odors entering your nose), dump/wash/scrape the stinky moldy food into the disposal/trash/compost container.
6. Wash the containers well with soap and water, and/or run through the dishwasher. (Maybe even twice if there is a lingering odor. It happens.)
7. Wash the sink well, clean the disposal with baking soda and/or put lemon peels down it. Take out the trash or compost container.
8. Continue nice smelling candle and open windows/doors until necessary.
9. You did it! Good for you! Don’t let this happen again! DO NOT repeat!
Well, I’m still working on cleaning out my refrigerator and pantry, but I was inspired to write this post in the meantime. I hope to be back by Saturday night to post some great after pictures of the refrigerator and pantry!!
10 Ways to Waste Food
1. Never clean out your refrigerator. It’s scary in there.
2. If you see that something has been around a while and needs to be eaten, take it out and look at it. Think about what you could do with it. Then, put it back in the fridge so that you can think about it for a few more days. Repeat.
3. When you come home from grocery shopping, just push everything in the refrigerator to the back and put the new stuff in the front.
4. If something is on sale, or free, but you have no idea what to do with it, grab it!
5. If something in the pantry is near its expiration date, THINK about eating it soon, or donating it to someone who will eat it. When you notice it again and see that it has now expired, feel guilty. Every time you notice it for the next few years, feel even more guilty.
6. Don’t make a menu plan. Don’t you dare.
7. Buy lots of things that you wouldn’t normally buy or eat. Hey, it looks interesting and maybe even healthy!
8. Don’t make shopping lists, and definitely don’t take inventory of what you have before grocery shopping. Who has time for that nonsense anyway?
9. Store leftovers in opaque containers. DO NOT LABEL.
10. If you already have a type of fresh produce, like strawberries, and you buy more before the first container is done, just go ahead and eat the newer ones first. The newer ones look so much fresher and tastier! I’m sure you’ll go back to eat the older ones later in the week.
Do you have a favorite? Do you have one to add to the list?
I’m linking up with The Frugal Girl’s Food Waste Friday.
I’ve been working on my closet/wardrobe with Project: Simplify this week and I thought I would take this little break to show you a few things I found well, under the pile of clothes that was actually blocking my closet area.
So, I’m trying to decide if I should keep these sandals….
Just Kidding! Did I scare you? They are now in the toss box!!!
Do you keep these kinds of things in your closet, too? You never know when you are going to need a drinking straw or toy butterfly while you are getting dressed in the morning!
And last but not least…..
well, maybe last and least…..
I’m pretty sure these are around a size 1. My little girly wears a size 4 now.
I bet you can’t wait for the after pictures on Friday!!! Still a lot of work to do!! Gotta run….
I keep losing things and I can’t figure out why!!!!