Hot Spot Check Up: Desk in 28 min. | Week 2Posted: October 12, 2011
OK! I’m feeling good about things this week. I started to deal with that box of hidden paper clutter. The whole box was just too overwhelming and I knew I didn’t have time to do it all, so I set my handy-dandy timer (I use the one on my oven) for 10 minutes and I went to work.
I decided to just make some quick piles and not bother with boxes/bags/containers. Part-way through, I made those labels for the piles using envelopes from the recycle pile, to help me keep on track.
My piles included:
- To File
- Mr. RSS (That’s anything for my husband to deal with)
- Take Action
Next I dealt with each pile instead of leaving them there for days to get all mixed up again by a certain toddler. Why didn’t I think of this idea before?? (I forgot to set the timer for this part, but I’m estimating it only took me 5 min.)
- Recycle – into a recycle bag. Easy!
- To File – The pile was so small and not so overwhelming, so I actually filed everything right then and there. I’m not even kidding. Crazy.
- Mr. RSS – I put his pile on his desk for him. I’m sure he’ll be thrilled!
- To Take Action – Well, I moved that little pile to the desk, right next to the computer. Not much action on it yet.
But, wait! There’s more!
I set the timer for 10 min. to work on the desk. After that, I really wanted just a little more time, so I did 2 more minutes and then 1 more for the finishing touches. So, that’s 13 min.
What I am learning:
- Small chunks of time seem to work well for me.
- The timer helps me stay on task, work quickly, and have the end in sight.
- It was good for me not to set up boxes to sort papers because:
- That takes time, or I need to find my old boxes which are….somewhere….maybe in my room?
- I feel the need to keep the boxes to use again, or wait until they are full. Then I have boxes sitting around somewhere. Not good for me.
- In the case of a quick sort, the papers are not getting out of hand, and It helps me to deal with them more quickly.
How is your desk doing today?