Ten Ways to Waste FoodPosted: April 1, 2011
Well, I’m still working on cleaning out my refrigerator and pantry, but I was inspired to write this post in the meantime. I hope to be back by Saturday night to post some great after pictures of the refrigerator and pantry!!
10 Ways to Waste Food
1. Never clean out your refrigerator. It’s scary in there.
2. If you see that something has been around a while and needs to be eaten, take it out and look at it. Think about what you could do with it. Then, put it back in the fridge so that you can think about it for a few more days. Repeat.
3. When you come home from grocery shopping, just push everything in the refrigerator to the back and put the new stuff in the front.
4. If something is on sale, or free, but you have no idea what to do with it, grab it!
5. If something in the pantry is near its expiration date, THINK about eating it soon, or donating it to someone who will eat it. When you notice it again and see that it has now expired, feel guilty. Every time you notice it for the next few years, feel even more guilty.
6. Don’t make a menu plan. Don’t you dare.
7. Buy lots of things that you wouldn’t normally buy or eat. Hey, it looks interesting and maybe even healthy!
8. Don’t make shopping lists, and definitely don’t take inventory of what you have before grocery shopping. Who has time for that nonsense anyway?
9. Store leftovers in opaque containers. DO NOT LABEL.
10. If you already have a type of fresh produce, like strawberries, and you buy more before the first container is done, just go ahead and eat the newer ones first. The newer ones look so much fresher and tastier! I’m sure you’ll go back to eat the older ones later in the week.
Do you have a favorite? Do you have one to add to the list?
I’m linking up with The Frugal Girl’s Food Waste Friday.